Thursday, August 23, 2012

First animal of the season


Yes I know I have a lot of catching up to do, with summer vacation pictures and everything. But I just got back from a great hunt with my dad and some of my friends, and was excited about it so I wanted to put a pictures up of that first. This was yesterday.

I shot him very close to Logan's Valley.  Initially about a 300 yard shot.  He dissappeared for a while in some bushes and me and my buddy went looking for him.  Well I jumped him about 10 feet away, and he popped up and ran about 20 yards.  Then a clean shot through the lungs and he was done for.  About a hour and half later and me and dad were on our way back to camp, loaded down with meat.


 Here are a few of the trophy pics.  This was shot with my  Kimber Montana 300 wsm, 165 grain TSX bullets.  Granted I haven't harvested a ton of caribou, but this is the nicest one yet!  He is very symetrical, and has a double shovel.  Big bull too, I could barely lift his ribcage up.  I'm guessing 140 lbs of meat off this guy.  Got him hanging in the garage at the moment.  can't wait to get more as my freezer is pretty bare bones at the moment.

 I know what your thinking what a horrible cape job, well I didn't keep the cape, just the antlers.  Hes just not quite big enough for a shoulder mount.  But I plan on doing my own little mount with his antlers in velvet.
 Finnegan was pretty excited and curious about the caribou.  He can't wait for his turn when he is older to feed the family.  Think he needs to start out with some rabbits first though.  Hopefully not to much longer.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Bryce. I feel like I've been on your hunt with you. Finn is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I hope there is a little more time before our little Finn goes huntin' for wabbits. :} He sure is cute and you sure are debonair - it's so fun to read your words and feel your excitement for Alaska, being with your father and having the opportunity to bring home the bacon.

    ReplyDelete