Monday, December 5, 2011

Finnegan is born!!












I love those little toeses of his, they are so cute. He has the 'Weight toe' ;)





Finn right after being born, I got to cut the cord. I almost cut the wrong spot. They were like "cut it" and I went for it! They stopped me before I did though and showed me where the right spot was.





Well as many of you have heard, Finn was born a little earlier then we were expecting. His due date was 12/4 but he decided that he wanted to show up just a wee bit sooner. He was born on 11/25/11 at 11:59 PM. This is a special day for him, not just because it is his birthday, but because it is also the birthday of his great-grandpa Booth, from whom he get his middle name. It was really close, probably 20-30 seconds longer and he would have a b-day a day later.




I had left for work that evening around 5 Pm for my shift that started at 6. Earlier in the day I told Ray that Finn was definitely not coming today. When I left for work Rachel was taking a nap. I was in the fire station that night, and someone at work asked me when the baby would be here, and I told them that it would be soon but "it aint going to be today." Well about 8:45 or so Nicky (Rays sister) texted me and said Rachel was in severe pain and they weren't sure if it was labor or not but they were going to the hospital to get checked out. I told her "ok, just let me know." about ten minutes later I got another text saying come to the hospital. So I told my boss I have to go, got changed real quick and ran out the door. I got over to Providence Hospital about 9:15 Pm. And man, was Rachel ever in Labor. It was difficult to watch, she was in a lot of pain. Everyone, including Rachel was screaming to get her some pain meds. But that wasn't our plan from the beginning so I was the only one in the room trying to talk about things and see what side effects could occur and so on. Well the anesthesiologist took forever to get there and Rachel was progressing rapidly. Rachel REALLY wanted that Epidural and everyone (sisters, the nurses, doctors) wanted her to have it, except me! Rachel has been saying for months how afraid of needles she is and that she didn't want one, so I was trying to be strong for her and remind her of her prior decision. Well around 10:50 or so everything was ready for it and Rachel even signed the paper to get the epidural already. The nurse checked her one last time and she was at 10 cm. So she started to push, which was really exciting. everyone agreed that she didn't really need the epidural at this point and to just GO FOR IT. Nicky and I were helping and looking at the clock. Finn had less then an hour before midnight. I thought for sure it was going to be a couple more hours til he was actually born. I thought no way is this kid going to make it on the 25th. Well, nobody told Finn that because at 11:59 PM (I had given up hope already) he was born with just seconds to spare. Most likely the last baby in the US born on that day considering the time zones. He was beautiful and perfect in every way. 7 lbs 9 ounces with dark blue eyes. I'm so glad that he was born on grandpa Booth's birthday. Finn may have never met his Grandpa Booth in person, but he will always remember him. I loved my grandpa very much and I miss him very much, and hopefully Finn will too.



No comments:

Post a Comment